Friday 3 February 2012

Megaboss refused bail again


The New Zealand courts have refused MegaUpload founder Kim (Dotcom) Schmitz bail for the second time. The Mega chief had pleaded that he did not pose any risk of jumping bail as his passport had been surrendered and his bank account frozen saying "I will not run away. I want to fight these allegations on a level playing field. I have three little children. My wife is pregnant with twins. I just want to be with them". However the prosecution again successfully persuaded the judge that the Mega chief was indeed a flight risk, speculating that he may have secret funds he could tap into, and noting his past record, and allegations he fled to Thailand to avoid insider trading charges in Germany. Schmitz will now stay in jail until at least 22 February.

No comments:

Post a Comment