The Great White tragedy in the USA in 2003 left 100 dead and 200 injured at the Station Nightclub after pyrotechnics set of by the band in the club ignited flammable sound proofing. The fatalities and injuries were caused by smoke inhalation and crushing. This was followed in 2004 in a similar incident at a nightclub in Argentina when 194 people died at the República Cromañónnight club when rock group Callejeros were playing and a pyrotechnic flare was set off and ignited foam in the ceiling. In 2008 in Thailand again pyrotechnics set of by a band on stage at the Satntika nightclub caused a fire and left 66 people dead. In 2009 in Perm in Russia, 156 died after fireworks set the ceiling alight - and also the same year and just after Perm there was a near miss in Scotland - indoor fireworks set fire to the plastic netting hung across the roof in the Luna nightclub in Edinburgh. And what do people learn? Nothing it seems. When I used to teach undergraduates, I would go through all of these tragedies - and point out that if a band or venue let off fireworks and/or the fire exits are locked, blocked or chained shut - its time to leave.
The owner of the Station Nightclub in the USA and Great White's tour manager both received prison sentences for manslaughter. Michael Derderian, the club owner ,received four years and Dan Biechele, the tour manager, four years with a further eleven years suspended. Derderian's brother and club co-owner Jeffrey received 500 community service and the brother were fined $1.06 million for failing to have proper insurance. A massive civil claim followed and defendants included the club, the band, the local fire department, those who sold the fireproofing, Clear Channel who helped promote the show, a local TV station, the Local Town Authority and the State. In Russia, a court in the central Russian city of Perm has sentenced a prominent nightclub owner to nine years and 10 months in jail over a deadly fire in December 2009. Anatoly Zak and four former associates in his Khromaya Loshad (Lame Horse) nightclub were found guilty of manslaughter. The four were sentenced to prison terms of between four and six years. Two former officials from the local fire-safety directorate were found guilty of negligence and sentenced to four and five years in jail. In Thailand, the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court found two people, club owner Wisuk Setsawat, and Boonchu Laorinath, the light and sound company's owner, guilty of negligence in 2011. Wisuth and Boonchoo were given three-year jail terms. Boonchoo was also ordered to pay Bt8.5 million in compensation to five plaintiffs, relatives of the victims. After the Luna near miss, Sheriff Graeme Warner slammed the "unbelievable attitude" of the DJ, Jason Cormack, who let of the pyrotechnics saying it was fortunate nobody had died and that setting off fireworks indoors was like handing a child a gun and being surprised when someone was injured.