Thursday 12 January 2012

European Border Breakers out!


More from EuroSonic in Groningen where the European Border Breakers Awards were handed out in a ceremony hosted by Jools Holland and filmed for Dutch TV and a number of other EBU countres. The Awards go to new or emerging European artists or groups who have had success in reaching audiences outside their own country with their first internationally-released album. The public could also vote for their overall winner, and the Public Choice Award went to Belgian act Selah Sue. The final list of winners of EBBAs is:

Elektro Guzzi (Austria)
Selah Sue (Belgium)
Agnes Obel (Denmark)
Ben l'Oncle Soul (France)
Boy (Germany)
James Vincent McMorrow (Ireland)
Afrojack (Netherlands)
Alexandra Stan (Romania)
Swedish House Mafia (Sweden)
Anna Calvi (UK)

Anna Calvi said "I am really honoured to have won this award. My father is Italian, my mother grew up in Switzerland. I don't just feel English, I feel very European and it's been really important for me that the record has done well in Europe as a whole". Ireland's James Vincent McMorrow who performed two songs at the Border Breakers Awards ceremony said "This is fantastic. I was here at Eurosonic last year and it was here where it all began. From then on it led to incredible things and this award means a lot to me".

No comments:

Post a Comment