Friday, 23 March 2012

Radiohead go paperless

Radiohead have chosen to go paperless for 80% of the tickets for their shows at the Manchester Arena (6th October) and the O2 Arena (8th and 9th October) with the remaining 20% allocated via the band's fan club. The band opted to use paperless ticketing for nearly all of the seats to ensure that fans will have fair access to the ticket inventory and will not have to pay above face value and block out touts (scalpers). Radiohead fans can purchase a maximum of four tickets for the band's upcoming dates and the credit card used to purchase the tickets must be taken to the show along with the cardholder's photo ID in order to gain entry into the show. This means that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded and all members of the party must arrive together. Many fans have complained about similar restrictions in the USA saying they prevent legitimate resale, create logistical nightmares for fans who may find it difficult to arrive with the credit card holder and mean that season ticket holders cannot pass on unused dates.

"Radiohead made it clear that they wanted the face value of the ticket to be the price their fans paid and Ticketmaster Paperless ticketing is crucial for artists who want to protect their ticket inventory for their fans," said Chris Edmonds, managing director for Ticketmaster UK who are handling the sale. "The technology means a smooth, secure and fast entry to the venues whilst also restricting secondary ticketing activity."

No comments:

Post a Comment