Thursday, 6 September 2012
Bloc overcrowding explained?
The organisers of the London Bloc weekender which was shut down on police advice because of serious overcrowding, have put forward their explanation of the cancelled event in a statement which puts the blame on "serious delays associated with the building of the London Pleasure Gardens site, leading to non-completion of groundwork, venues and general infrastructure" saying that "The Hub', a 2800 capacity high-spec venue that we had contracted to host one of our main stages, was not going to be ready for us to us". The organisers also point to the event's ticketing system although the providers of that, Crowd Surge, had previously said the were not at fault. Bloc organisers say that "we did experience problems with the management of the admission control systems" and the statement says that there were problems with both the checking of e-tickets (with scanners) at the gates saying "Knowledge of the suspension of scanning combined with ticket touting enabled people to gain entry to the event without having purchased a ticket from our website. We'll never know exactly how many people [did this]". Bloc is in administration, as are the London Pleasure Gardens holding company, and ticket-buyers will not be able to get any money back from Bloc and are advised to apply for a refund from the bank or credit firm who provided the card with which they made payment.